13 Sep Pulled Flank Steak Chilli
Prep Time: 0.30 Hours
Total Time: 7.3 Hours
Servings 4 Person(s)
- 2kg Flank Steak, ask your butcher for this cut
- ½ each of a red/yellow pepper and green pepper cut into slices
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 squares of dark chocolate
- 1 double espresso, or a teaspoon of dark roast coffee
- 2 tbsps maple syrup to taste
- 1 tin tomato passata
- 1 tin of black beans
- 2 tbsps each of Pitboss BBQ sauce and Red Dawg Apache sauce
- 500ml rich beef stock
- Flour tortillas to serve
- Sour cream, avocado, sliced red chilli, lettuce and grated cheddar to serve
Ideally smoke the flank steak for an hour on the BBQ with a lid on at low temp 120-140c with a hickory or pecan smoke. Wrap with foil and cook for a couple more hours until falling apart into juicy strands. This can be cooked in an oven at a push.
Place the veg, chocolate, coffee and black beans in the base of a casserole dish, and place the flank steak on top. Spoon over the hot sauces, and the passata, add the maple syrup for a slightly sweeter chilli. Top up the dish with half the stock and place back on the BBQ, or in the oven. Keep topping up with beef stock so it doesn’t dry out, and cook for 4/5 hours at low to medium until the sauce is rich and thick, and the steak is falling apart. Feel free to cover with foil to stop the chilli drying out.
Serve in flour tortillas, loaded up with the chilli, and the toppings of your choice, drizzled over with plenty of hot sauce.