19 Aug Malissa & Lew’s Easy Like Sunday Gumbo
Prep Time: .75 Hours
Total Time: 2 Hours
Servings 8 Person(s)
You will need:
- 75g Plain Flour
- 75g Butter
- 2 Chicken Breast Fillets
- 500g Sausage (we used our Andouille Sausage)
- Mr Rubba Rubba seasoning 50g
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 2 Sticks of Celery
- 2 Peppers Chopped
- 400g Okra
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 400g Prawns (we used king prawns)
- 1 litre Chicken Stock
- A good handful of Parsley or Coriander
This is my 6 year old’s favourite dish! Now he is able to help me a little more in the kitchen this dish works great as there is lots of things to chop and he loves that!
First things first, get your chicken and sausages cooking, you can either smoke these, or like Lew & I do we rub the chicken breast both sides with rubba rubba and pop them and the sausages into an oven dish each and into the oven at around 180 degrees.
Whilst these are in the oven you can start on the Gumbo:
- Melt 75g butter in a large pan
- add 75g plain flour and stir to make a roux
- once the roux is a lovely caramel colour add the chopped celery, onion and peppers and give them a good stir round for a few minutes.
- add the chicken stock and stir thoroughly making sure you have all the roux from the bottom of the pan and it’s not sticking.
- once the sausages and chicken are cooked, removed from the oven, roughly chop and add them to the stock, bring to the boil and then leave to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring to make sure the gumbo isn’t stick whilst it thickens.
- Add the Okra and cook for another 30 minutes, until all the ‘ropiness’ has gone from the Okra
- Check the flavour and add more seasoning if required, I use Mr Rubba Rubba, leave on a low heat and allow the flavours to infuse.
- When ready to eat, pop some rice on to boil, crank up the heat of the Gumbo and add your shrimp, and stir them through, they should take around 6 minutes to cook if using raw prawns, add parsley and stir through.
- Once rice is cook, drain and place a small mountain of rice in the bowl and top with Gumbo! Apparently this makes it look like a ‘Gumbo Volcano’ to a 6 year old!
This also freezes well, and we often pop a couple of portions in the freezer for Lewis to take to Grandpa!